Right. I've just had a brain wave earlier today and I'm going to post up some plot line ideas and it'll be essential for everyone to comment back.
Since this game is heavily story based the narrative and creep factor is probably most important. Here goes!
(I'm not sure whether you'll play as a male/female character. See which one is most likeable first I guess.)
- 3rd person
- Train ride back to your home city, sunset.
- Your 'laptop' (ie it was playing the opening credits) dies so you explore the train out of boredom.
- Cue some creepy events but make it subtle.
- You get a phone call from your bro/sis (depending on main chara) that they need your help. (I'm not sure how 'urgent' to make it yet.) and the phone call will get cut off [I'd expect it'll be a tunnel].
- You get home
- [If it's not that urgent, make the player feel comfortable with a routine like getting ready, going to work and coming home or whatever].
- You find that your sibling's co-worker (or something) was found dead so your siblings in police questioning.
- Next day your sibling is arrested so you go and see them. Sibling claims that they didn't do it and that there is 'something' else that's part of it.
- You need to work out/find clues to help your sibling. Each time you visit sibling gets creepier and creepier until they're moved to a psychiatric hospital (yes Rumzi you can now have your SH inspired hospitals).
- I'd like to incorporate the Chinese 'Hungry Ghost Festival' or something similar just to make it a bit different from the usual 'Halloween' time frame. The Ghost Month is basically a festival where it is believed that the Gates of Hell open for spirits to visit the living and be comforted by them. Burning incense, paper signifying money/material possessions and sending out paper boats/lanterns on water to give guidance for spirits to return.
- Perhaps, when you're on the train ride, you're returning from a family reunion and your sibling returned back to the city a few days before you left.
- Incorporating the menu system with the phone: perhaps make the player really depend on it then disable it when the time is right. I'm thinking Eternal Darkness vibes here for this.
Eyup, that's it so far. Now go forth and brainstorm! :3