EDIT: I've added some more personality traits as par suggested by Mike...hope the extra new bits help!
After spending several hours on trying to find a decent name for the MC and the sibling I have finally managed it. My knowledge of Japanese names is comparatively vast to my knowledge of Chinese names. There was just...so much in terms of naming conventions as well as the different types of Chinese o.O. Anyway, I think I've made the names ambiguous enough to not be too bias to either Chinese or Japanese culture since the Ghost Month/Festival and the Japanese Bon festival are very similar.
Yu Ling (Yu = Rain, LING = Forest) / LING, Yu.
- late 20's to early 30's.
- Is a male nurse and a medical intern who works at a large hospital in the city.
- Has recently suffered from a nervous breakdown in which his team failed to save a child in A&E due to his mishandling of his stress.
- His team leader suggested that he takes a break and visit family just before the Ghost Month starts.
- Lied to his family about suffering a nervous breakdown and instead said that he got a bit of holiday time to spend due to him working hard and has to travel back to work. Only his sister (Kemi) knows about this.
New bits: (I'll just copy what Mike said in his comment as it was pretty much bang on in my initial ideas)
- Very work driven, he still doesn't quite understand why he got a nervous breakdown as he understands how stressful his line of work is. He is a bit at loss in what to do with all his sudden spare time.
- I like Mike's idea with how he's grown distant with the family because of modernisation which is partly why he has such a good relationship with Kemi. Kemi on the other hand keeps in touch with family and often updates Yu with the latest gossip.
- He's financially stable and is able to afford the occasional creature comforts and that he's more of the type to save rather than spend.
- House wise, lives in a modern apartment complex with modern furniture, no clutter. Kemi often tries to make it more 'homey' by bringing cushions, plushies and throws much to Yu's dismay. He'd rather fork out on impressive gadgets (like a fridge with an ice dispenser or a 5.1 stereo surround system) than home decor.
- Will quite happily spend several days in solitude on his days off.
- Gets on very well with work mates and can be social-able if the situation calls for it but would never step out of his way to be the life of the party. He's not the type that would hold grudges when not invited to occasions either.
- Would occasionally bring in home-made snacks for the staff room and the team.
Kemi Ling (short from 'Akemi', Ake = bright and Mi = beautiful) / LING, Kemi.
- early-mid 20's for argument's sake.
- Journalist in training, dreams to be the next Harry Potter writer and uses her job as a stepping stone for her writing career.
- Works under an infamous reporter who is known to expose scandals and corrupt officials in the political and business fields. However that reporter is no clean slate either...
- Doesn't particularly enjoy her job especially when she doesn't agree with her boss's reporting methods but doesn't complain about it.
- Has confidence issues in which Yu helps her out whenever she gets like that.
- Her work requires her to do a lot of running around and for that she often eats takeaways. This displeases Yu so he often invites her round for dinner
- Kemi is able to read Yu like a book due to her line of work.
- Whenever she's depressed she often waits around Yu's apartment complex reading her favourite books. A combination of "I want company yet I don't want to impose on you" kind of thing.
- Work for Kemi is very tough especially as her boss is very demanding and would often force her to work late into the evenings and sometimes mornings. She doesn't complain or resent her boss for that though.
- Kemi is not the type to ask anyone for help or assistance and would do things by herself.
- Also note that since they've come from a slightly traditional family, a lot of pressure is pushed onto the sons to do well and that daughters should be perfect housewives. While the parents are happy with their kids, not all of the elderly members are happy with Kemi's line of work or her passion for writing.
- Other than that, Kemi is a level headed happy-go-lucky kind of girl and is able to focus on the good aspects of life.
Extra new bits:
- Yu is often bombarded with questions on when he's going to get a girlfriend/get married by the older relatives which is another reason on why he often avoids go home too much.
- Yu sees Kemi trying to achieve her dreams as opposed to himself who just accepts everything, for this he pays more attention to helping Kemi.
The siblings have a very good relationship and looks out for each other since they both moved to the same city and they both travelled back home for the Ghost Month. However due to how the Lunar Calendar works, they were unable to stay for the festival (which takes places in the middle of it) due to their work schedules and travelled back to the city. Superstition states that it's very inauspicious to travel around this time but due to modernisation, that idea is slowly being phased out (like working in hospitals, big marketing firms, grocery shopping, newspaper facilities etc).
The story takes place when Yu is travelling back on a 2 day train journey on the eve of the festival.
Random side note: I decided to use my own surname for the character's name because I couldn't make up my mind XD